For information on how to apply for a U.S. passport, please use the Passport Wizard navigator by clicking this link. The navigator will ask you a series of simple questions and help you make an appointment or provide you with instructions for using the Consular Dropbox to renew your passport without an appointment if you are eligible.
The processing time for routine passport applications is two to three weeks. If you are traveling within the next two weeks and need an Emergency Passport, please follow the instructions in the passport navigator to request an appointment.
To save time and maximize social distancing, we strongly encourage all adults who are eligible to use the Consular Dropbox to do so.
Note: If your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, and you are traveling directly to the United States before June 30, 2022, you may be able to use your expired U.S. passport. Please see this link for more information.
Official No-Fee Passports:
The U.S. Embassy in Manama does not issue Official, no-fee (maroon) passports for NSA Bahrain personnel. Bearers of Official passports are eligible to use their Official passport as proof of U.S. citizenship in order to apply for a tourist/regular (blue) passport. Applicants who are seeking to obtain or renew an official passport should contact the PSD office on base.
If you are a U.S. citizen with an emergency situation or need an urgent “emergency appointment”, please email ManamaConsular@state.gov with the subject line “EMERGENCY SERVICE REQUEST” and provide a detailed description of your request. We will respond to you at the earliest opportunity.
Consular Report of Birth Abroad:
To request a CRBA appointment please email ManamaConsular@state.gov with the subject line “CRBA APPOINTMENT REQUEST”. Please review our website before requesting an appointment.
Please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest U.S. Citizen Services updates.
Lost or Stolen Passport
- We advise that a police report be filed with the Bahraini authorities immediately if you feel that your passport has been lost or stolen. Obtain a police declaration and bring this with you when you apply for a new passport.
- For more information on replacing your lost or stolen passport, please use the Passport Wizard navigator by clicking this link.
This service is no longer available.
Fees and Photos
- For appointments at the Embassy, fees can be paid in U.S. dollars (USD), Bahraini dinar or by credit card. A comprehensive schedule of fees can be found here.
- If you are applying for an adult passport renewal using our Consular Dropbox, we accept money orders in USD only from the United States Postal Service (USPS) on NSA Bahrain, or a cashier’s check in USD only from your local bank. Payment must be exactly $130 (passport book only), $30 (passport card only), or $160 (passport book and card), payable to U.S. Embassy—Manama, Bahrain. Do not include any fee for expedited services – expedite fees are only applicable for domestic renewals.
- All photographs must be in color, taken within the last 6 months, and be 2″ by 2″ (two inches by two inches) without any eyewear. Please review our website carefully to ensure your photo meets the requirements.