Updated: March 30, 2017
The American Citizen Services Unit (ACS) of the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Bahrain will assist family and friends in the event of the death of a private U.S. citizen in Bahrain.
Please notify the Embassy as soon as possible of the death of a U.S. citizen by calling 1724-2700 during business hours (Sunday to Thursday 0800-1700). After business hours, please call 1727-5126 to connect with a U.S. Marine Security Guard who will contact the after-hours duty officer. The death of a U.S. citizen, whether he/she is a resident or tourist in Bahrain, should be reported to ACS so that a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRODA) can be issued. Copies of this report are provided to the next-of-kin or legal representative to settle legal and estate matters in the United States. The ACS Unit can issue up to 20 copies of the report to the next of kin.
While we recognize the days following the loss of a loved one can be difficult, the ACS section encourages you to make timely decisions regarding the disposition of the remains of the deceased. Clearing agents are provided by the Salmaniya Medical Complex to assist with navigating the Bahraini legal process for disposition of remains and associated documents. The family or other legal representative (for example, the deceased’s sponsoring company) is responsible for the arrangement and payment of clearing agents, shipping costs for the remains, and costs associated with the shipment of any personal effects. Please note that the facilities and standards for mortuary-related services — specifically cremation — are vastly different from those in the United States.
The clearing agent or legal representative (next-of-kin, friend, or company representative) must bring the original U.S. passport, Death Certificate issued by the Ministry of Health, and Notification of Cause of Death issued by the relevant hospital to the Embassy. The Embassy will then issue two authorization letters required by the Bahrain authorities to begin processing:
- A letter requesting a No Objection Certificate for disposition of the remains from the Ministry of Interior.
- A letter requesting a similar No Objection Certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Bahrain Death Certificate is obtained from the Ministry of Health, Birth and Deaths Record Office.
Contact telephone 1727-9225
- Embalming Certificate is obtained from the Salmaniya Hospital Mortuary.
Contact telephone 1727-9531
- MFA Clearance Certificate is obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Contact telephone 1722-5114
- No Objection Certificate is obtained from the Ministry of Interior.
Contact telephone 1771-3272
- Cremation is only available at the Hindu Cremation Ground (near Aluminum Bahrain, or ALBA). Contact the Hindu Temple in the Bahrain Souk area.
Contact telephone: Mr. Hiran 3964-1583 or Mr. Sharad 1725 6131
Phone: +973 1724 2700
Fax: +973 1725 6242