What is the Student Leaders Program?
The Student Leaders Program (SLP) is a rigorous leadership and civic engagement program for up to 64 competitively selected undergraduate and graduate students between the ages of 20 and 24 from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. Students are placed in U.S. universities where they complete academic coursework, develop leadership and project management skills, and expand their understanding of civil society and participatory governance processes in the United States and MENA region. The 2024 program will focus on climate change and environmental protection. Students will develop civic engagement projects to address climate and environmental issues in their local communities.
The Student Leaders Program (SLP) is a year-long three-part program: pre-summer, summer, and post-summer with the most intensive part taking place during the summer. The summer program is an intensive 4-week program, and is tentatively scheduled to take place from June 28 until July 26, 2024. The SLP is a yearlong three-part program: pre-summer, summer, and post-summer with the most intensive part taking place during the summer.
Can I apply for the Student Leaders Program?
You are eligible for the program if:
- You are a Bahraini citizen, living in Bahrain, and attending university in Bahrain;
- You will be 20 to 24 years old at the time of entry to the U.S. The eligible birthdate range must fall between July 26, 1999 and June 28, 2004;
- You are proficient in English;
- You are committed to returning to Bahrain following completion of the program;
- You demonstrate characteristics of leadership and are interested in motivating your peers to promote positive change in Bahrain;
- You have a strong interest in learning about the United States;
- You demonstrate a commitment to address climate and environmental issues;
- You perform at high-level of academic achievement and currently attending an undergraduate or graduate degrees program (or have graduated from an undergraduate program within 6 months or less before the program start date), or will commence graduate program start date), or will commence graduate studies in the U.S. degree program for the June 29, 2023 or will commence graduate studies in the Fall 2023 semester;
- You are able and willing to participate fully in the intensive 4-week academic, community service and educational travel activities;
- You are open to campus life, sharing living accommodations with another participant of the same sex and traveling with multinational group of participants for the MENA region including U.S. citizens (without family and friends); and
- Possess flexibility and adaptability to new cultures and social settings.
How can I apply?
- To apply, go to this website: https://studentleaders-apply.smapply.io/
- Deadline: The application will close on December 18, 2023.