Apply for the International Writing Program at the University of Iowa by Wednesday, February 15, 2023
The U.S. Embassy, Manama is pleased to announce the International Writing Program (IWP) at the University of Iowa.
The IWP at the University of Iowa provides a unique intercultural experience for established writers who have achieved literary distinction in their own country and for rising stars who have demonstrated literary talent, broad appeal, and an interest in contributing to their local creative writing scene. The University of Iowa plans to host the residency from August 19 to November 6, 2023 (dates are subject to change). The program will examine current trends in literature and the writing process, including fiction, drama, poetry and screen writing, in the U.S. and abroad. Participants will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills, share knowledge and techniques, and work with translators to help their writing reach a wider audience. please visit the Fall Residency’s FAQ website
- Bahraini citizenship;
- Nominees must be adults between the age of 21 and 64 at the time of the program, and stay for the full eleven weeks;
- Poets, writers, fiction writers, dramatists, bloggers, screenwriters and literary translators are all eligible to apply;
- Proficient in English; and
- Open to and interested in close interaction with writers from diverse countries and cultures.
Applicants must submit the following information, via email, to ManamaPAO@state.gov by Wednesday, February 15, 2023.
- Nominations will need to include a literary-focused CV and a representative writing sample in English or English translation (accompanied by the original language version). A standard sample will contain 10–15 pages of clearly formatted material.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a virtual interview via zoom.