Welcome to the Information Resource Center of the U.S. Embassy. The IRC offers research and reference services, specializing in current U.S. policy, legislation, trade, social and cultural issues, to residents of Bahrain. The IRC also offers Digital Video Conferencing (DCV) with academic and professional institutions in the U.S.
The IRC emphasizes electronic information resources and has a collection of non-circulating magazines and reference books. The advantage of information in electronic format is that searches for specific information can be made easily and quickly. A collection of online data sources is supplemented by access to the Internet databases. Also the IRC administers the Embassy website.
The following online databases are available:
- Dow Jones Interactive (Factiva) provides access to over 6,000 full text periodicals as well as major news sources such as Reuters wires, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times.
- Lexis-Nexis is a legislative service that provides on-line access to U.S. federal legislation using a variety of reference and full-text databases.
- GaleNet is a one-stop shopping database for Gale Research products available on the World Wide Web. This covers the Encyclopedia of Associations, Contemporary Authors,; Research Centers Family of Directories, and Directories of Publications & Broadcast Media.
- Gale Expanded Academic Index is a database with indexing and abstracts of 1,900 journals and the full text or image of 900 titles. Provides online access to directories of the Congress, federal, state and municipal government, law firms, NGOs, judicial, media and associations.
- STAT-USA is supported by the U.S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration. It contains crucial and timely business and economic information produced by Federal agencies.
- Federal News Service (FNS) provides transcripts to testimony, briefings, press conferences and congressional hearings with questions and answers. FNS also produces a daybook that details significant events in Washington as well as cabinet officer schedules.