As part of the Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the Embassy of the United States of America in the Kingdom of Bahrain, the Regional English Language Officer (RELO) cooperates with the U.S. Embassy PAS in Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, the Sultanate of Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. The English Language Office supports the U.S. Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961, which aims to increase communication skills and mutual understanding between the people of the United States of America and the people of other countries throughout the world.
To achieve these goals, the English Language Office supports U.S. Embassy-sponsored English language programming that strengthens teachers’ instructional and language skills, develops critical thinking capabilities, and conveys information about the United States. These programs and resources include, but are not limited to the following:
In addition, the English Language Office often provides advice for and engages in cooperation with:
- the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA),
- the Study of the U.S. Summer Institute for Secondary Educators Program,
- the International Visitor and Leadership Program and Voluntary Visitor Program,
- alumni of exchange programs,
- local and regional English Teacher Associations, and others who arrange training that is focused on English Language Teaching.
Furthermore, the English Language Office cultivates professional relations with education officials, academic institutions, government agencies, and NGOs involved with policy development, English language programs, and teacher training.
Over 80 titles of English language materials for teachers and learners are available in multiple formats: print, video and audio at the American English Website, which also includes access to current and archived issues of the English Teaching Forum, a quarterly journal for English Teachers.
Disclaimer: Links or references to web sites outside the U.S. Federal Government or the use of trade, firm, or corporation names within the U.S. State Department web sites are for the convenience of the user. Such use does not constitute an official endorsement or approval by the U.S. State Department of any private sector web sites, product, or service. The United States Government can provide no guarantees and accepts no responsibility thereof for any action taken on the visitor’s part based on the information provided.
- AAAL: American Association of Applied Linguistics
- AACE: Association for Advancement of Computing in Education
- AAIEP: American Association of Intensive English Programs
- AERA: American Educational Research Association
- ASCD: Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
- CEA: Commission for English Language Program Accreditation
- LDA: Learning Disabilities Association
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- NILE TESOL
- TESOL (Global): Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
- UCIEP: University and College Intensive English Programs Consortium
American English Online serves as the United States Government’s portal for teaching and learning English as a Foreign Language, and contains links to support both teachers and students.