Kennedy-Lugar YES Program in Bahrain
Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program was established in October, 2002 and sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to provide scholarships for high school students (15-17 years) from countries with significant Muslim populations to spend up to one academic year in the U.S. The program is vital to expanding communication between the people of the United States and the partner countries in the interest of promoting mutual understanding and respect. Students live with host families, attend high school, engage in activities to learn about American society and values, acquire leadership skills, and help educate Americans about their countries and cultures.
YES Scholars will have the opportunity to:
- Live with an American family
- Study at a U.S. high school
- Participate in a youth leadership training program
- Experience U.S. culture and society first hand
- Improve their English
- Make new friends
- Represent as Bahrain cultural ambassadors to the USA
- Birth Date must be between January 1, 2001 and August 1, 2004
- Private secondary school students in their home country who are currently enrolled in 9th or 10th Grade.
- Public secondary school students in their home country who are currently enrolled in 10th Grade.
- Applicant should demonstrate a high level of academic achievement – Minimum grade of “B” in all subjects for the past year; overall “B” average for the past three years
- Applicant should be a Bahraini citizen
- Is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and was not born in the United States
- Demonstrate flexibility and commitment to promoting cross cultural understanding
YES Scholarships cover all major expenses, including:
- Room and board
- Health insurance
- Pocket money – stipend of $125 USD per month
- Educational supplies
Note: To apply for this year’s K-L YES Program, please complete the application form. The application form is available at: https://tinyurl.com/kebfe4m.
The deadline for submitting the application form is November 13, 2018.
For any questions, please contact the AMIDEAST office at
+973 3561-3315 [Bahrain] – only for WhatsApp
+973 3938-5966 [Bahrain] – only for emergency calls
+965 2247-0091 [Kuwait]