What is the Student Leaders Program?
- The MEPI Student Leaders Program is a fully-funded six to eight weeks of intensive leadership training program in the United States for undergraduate students. The program runs from June 25 to August 5, 2017. Participants develop leadership and collective problem-solving skills, exploring U.S. history and culture to expand their leadership skills and knowledge. The Institute consists of hands-on leadership training workshops, academic sessions, site visits, community service projects, optional homestays and opportunities for interaction with Americans peers, and other cultural activities. It includes a two-day orientation in Washington D.C., an academic residency program at a U.S. university or college, and an educational study tour to other regions of the United States. Students also participate in an alumni conference held in the Middle East or North Africa subsequent to their return to their home countries. The program is fully funded, including international airfare, travel within the United States, accommodation, meals, and program fees.
Can I apply for the Student Leaders Program?
You are eligible for the program if:
- You are a Bahraini citizen, living in Bahrain, and attending university in Bahrain;
- You will be 20 to 24 years old at the time of entry to the U.S.;
- You are proficient in English;
- You are committed to returning to Bahrain following completion of the program;
- You demonstrate characteristics of leadership and are interested in motivating your peers to promote positive change in Bahrain;
- You have a strong interest in learning about the United States;
- You have a sustained high level of academic achievement;
- You demonstrate a commitment to civic engagement;
- You have no prior travel experience in the United States or Canada and limited to no study or travel experience outside Bahrain;
- You are willing and able to participate fully in intensive academic, community service, and educational travel activities;
- You are comfortable with campus life, sharing living accommodations while traveling with a multinational group of participants from the Middle East and North Africa region and with U.S. citizens, and making adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home countries/communities; and
- You are comfortable spending Ramadan and Eid in the United States.
How do I apply?
- You must complete the online application form found on https://studentleaders.fluidreview.com/ by Saturday, January 7, 2017.
Selected applicants will be invited for a personal interview beginning of 2017. Candidates who are successful in the interview process are reviewed by the U.S. Embassy in Manama and the State Department in Washington, D.C. before final selections are made.