Location: There is a potential for demonstrations to occur at election polling stations throughout the country, including in public areas such as shopping malls.
Event: The Government of Bahrain will conduct Municipal and Parliamentary Elections on Saturday November 24 and run-off elections in many of these same races on Saturday December 1. Spontaneous demonstrations and violent anti-government activity occasionally take place in Bahrain. This unrest can be in response to regional developments, calls for protests, or local events, such as elections. Protest activity in Bahrain typically includes attempts to disrupt traffic, setting tire fires, and throwing rocks. It can also include throwing Molotov cocktails and the use of improvised explosive devices and weapons against police forces, which may prompt crowd control measures from government security forces.
Actions to Take:
- Maintain a heightened sense of awareness.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- If you encounter a demonstration, depart the area immediately and notify police by calling 999.
- U.S. Embassy in Manama
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bahrain Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter