U.S. Embassy Manama is pleased to announce the in-person International Writing Program (IWP) at the University of Iowa, beginning August 20 to November 8, 2022. A total of 35 emerging and mid-career writers from around the world will meet in Iowa City for an immersive twelve-week cultural exchange.
The program will examine current trends in literature and the writing process, including fiction, drama, poetry and screen writing, in the U.S. and abroad. Participants will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills, share knowledge and techniques, and work with translators to help their writing reach a wider audience. Interested applicants are encouraged to visit the website: http://www.iowacityofliterature.org/
- Bahraini citizenship;
- Applicants must be adults between the age of 21 and 64 at the time of the program;
- The candidate should be primarily a writer of fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, drama, or screenplays;
- Proficient in English;
- The candidate should also display forms of national or local recognition for their literary work;
- Open to and interested in close interaction with writers from diverse countries and cultures.
Applicants must submit the following information, via email, to ManamaPAO@state.gov by Wednesday, March 16, 2022:
- 10 to 15 pages of work in both the original language and as translated into English that gives a good sense of the writer’s strengths and style.
- A literature-based CV or resume.